Thursday, September 18, 2008

Exabytes - "I Want A MacBook Air" Contest New Website Preview

I wrote about this contest some time ago: click here.


Here is the link to the website that is organising the contest:


Please click at the logo


I am suppose to review their new website and if the judges like my entry, they may consider giving me a MacBook Air! .. and I hope the will! Fingers crossed.


So obediently, I login into the page.

This banner 'jumps' out at me...


So glaring, so wrong!

What's wrong with this? sigh.. I am suppose to polish some apples and say good things in order to win.... looks like my chance has been reduced by 50% on what I gonna say now...

This is supposed to be the No. 1 Malaysia Web Hosting and Malaysia Domain Name registration... with this guy, I do not have the Malaysian feel. Furthermore, he looks like one of their staff... notice this logo on his shirt?


Well, the web designer should be a little bit more creative.... this is what I had come out with...



Well, I am not a web designer, but I hope my my point is clear... Malaysian students...


Also (here goes another 10% of my chances) by using a 'Mat Saleh' picture, it give the impression that this is something high class, but by showing the value of the freebie; RM55 this indicates that the package must expensive! Student nowadays are smarter.... no free lunch!


This is the overview:

"Understanding the need for a proper platform for Final Year Project demonstration, Xtudent Hosting Plan is specially catered to suit students needs in order for them to acquire higher marks, stand out from the rest, even respect from the lecturers! Need that extra edge to shine extra bright than the rest? Xtudent is just the plan for you!"

After reading this, I am wondering how do students achieve higher marks by using Exabytes Xtudent? What are the advantages? Yeah right, because I want to win the Mac I have no choice but to spend some time digging for the 'advantages'.... and I found it. I am not sure a student will dig as deep as I do.

It is like using a Mont Blanc pen to write an essay and get's you more marks... sigh.


This is the testimonial lead:

" So far I have no complaint but praises to the technical support team of Exabytes. You have been very helpful whenever we call. Keep up with the good work. "

Raymond Chin

Damn... using Exabytes means plenty of problems.... must be so difficult to use, until this Raymond Chin has to call their technical support. Do you have this impression?


The first testimonial lead should read like the following:

"I know peanuts about computer and I need to setup a blog to propose to my techie girlfriend. With just a phone call to Exabytes technical support, I was enlighten and set up the proposal blog myself. This impressed my girl and she is now my wife!! "

Raymond - a satisfied Xtudent user.

Not a good example but my point is, the testimonial lead should have something positive, arousing the reader's interest to read more. Then, the readers will automatically click the link to more testimonials...


Come on... if I write some more.. I will ended up winning nothing and angered the judges! But I need to do this review...

I am having a conflict of interest now... duh.


Anyway, here is the finale... and also I just blown the last 41% of my chances of winning... how to win?


See this picture below:



What do you see?







Will you forego you 'entertainment money' to blog? Or any money to do photo sharing??

Wake up... this is the reason not to buy anything from Exabytes. We can get the blog and photo sharing FREE from the internet. You know FREE like in no payments required.

The killer is the word Wordpress.. look carefully... hidden somewhere there.


I am not commenting on the third point as I am sure that any potential clients, will definately surf elsewhere as I already lost my interest to go on further on the the preview sites.



Observation:

This site is being drawn up in a rush... and have not been QC by a qualified marketeers. Nothing interesting here. I am not buying something I can get for free.


Conclusion:

sigh... guess I got to buy my own MacBook Air.


No comments: